Wednesday, December 11, 2013

You Can't Do Only One Thing

Bird-watching
That's a major rule in nature.  Pull on one string, and you find that everything is tied to it.

A bird feeder is never only a way to feed birds.

I put up a feeder to amuse myself (and others in the family), and a bear smashed it.

Mr. Bear wants some seeds to fall

So I put the feeder on a wire from my second floor window to a tree across the yard.  The bear still comes, attracted by the other wildlife, and sometimes finds spilled seeds.




Great Blue Heron in my yard
I added a goldfish pond, because birds need water. 

Frogs and toads came to lay their eggs.  Insects came to lay their eggs in the water.  Now dragonflies come to eat the other insects.  Great blue herons come to eat the goldfish, and Cooper's Hawks swing by to eat the frogs.

The seeds that fall from the feeder attract turkeys and mice and chipmunks, which attract more hawks and coyotes and foxes.
Hunting for seeds and the mice
that eat the seeds, under my
bird feeder
You can't catch me.

All because I put up a bird feeder.














No comments:

Post a Comment